1.24.2008

It fits so well, but I've made it before...

I am currently working on my second version of this Simplicity Khaliah Ali Pattern #3804 View E. The first one I made in a wonderful Chico's type Low-pile burnout stretch velvet. In that one I left off the cuff piece for a great 3/4 length sleeve.

Like many artists, I find duplication to be less than inspiring nor very creative. In order to utilize a pattern that I know fits me great, without reinventing the wheel, I decided to make it more interesting and challenging by trying some new techniques.

After reading about slot seams in Threads, on PatternReview and seeing the gorgeous skirt Ann did, I have been wanting to try this technique myself. I also just got a new gadget I have been dying to try out. It is the "Crop-a-dile" eyelet and punch kit. While I have always loved the look of eyelet's, I HATE cutting and setting them! This little gem is supposed to make my life a lot easier, we shall see...

I thought why not combine a slot seam with eyelet's and make this shirt lace-up the center front? I will use the slot seam technique to add a wide underlay for the lacing.
In this version, I am using a lush charcoal wool jersey (very slightly felted) from Londa's.

The lacing, cuffs and facings that will roll to the front and become faux piping, will all be made from black stretch velvet. Since I didn't have any black stretch velvet in the stash, I am recycling a shirt that is waaay too big and has never been worn. Perfect!

Pictures coming soon.

No comments: